- 1. Managing challenging and extreme behaviors in a group setting
- 2. Promoting effective communication in the classroom and dealing with group dynamics
- 3. Setting rules and boundaries within the classroom
- 4. Teach tolerance towards the individual differences in a group. Coping with children’s negative attitudes
Learning material around Scenario Four
1. Managing challenging and extreme behaviors in a group setting
In a classroom environment with children with ASD, a special education teacher has to cope with challenging and extreme behaviors. Managing these behaviors often causes teachers the most stress.
Children with ASD often:
- Behave in
aggressive or have tantrums
themselves or other children
A teacher has to find out:
Ø Why children with ASD behave in challenging ways
Ø Is it because there is a lack of understanding about what is happening around them?
Ø Is it because they do not have effective ways of communication?
Ø Is it because they are very anxious?
Ø What triggers that behavior
Changing the behaviour’s triggers is the first step of managing the behavior. The second step is the teacher making sure that the children understand that the environment has become ‘friendly’ again. It is very important to remember that you have to speak calmly and slowly. Do not forget to praise the appropriate behavior. Teach children more effective ways to communicate their needs, likes and dislikes.
As a teacher, you have to make sure that during your daily program:
Ø You teach the children to use acceptable ways of communicating their needs
Ø You try to control factors that may stimulate an unacceptable behavior, such as noise.
Ø You recognize attention-seeking behavior and find out how the behavior has developed and how it may be changed.
Preventing and managing challenging behaviors is a vital component in ensuring that the teacher and children’s experience of school is a happy one. Meeting the needs of children who display challenging behavior is a task which cannot be faced by teachers in isolation. The support of the whole team of experts is essential.
· Behavior Management in education foundation (website)www.bmef.com
· The challenging behavior foundation (website) www.the cbf.org.uk